Shinies - What are they?
Since the beginning of time, Trainers have been searching for the elusive variations of Pokémon spread over the whole world: Shinies.
Shinies share the same properties with their normal variation, except for 1 thing: their color palette is different.
In Pokémon GO, the mechanics of Shinies are a bit different if you compare it with the the main games, read below and get prepared for the hunt!
- In general, second and third evolutions of a species can’t be shiny,. There is an exception for Pokémon that have their Mega Evolution available in Pokémon GO.
- The base rate is 1/500, this means that every species that are not listed below have this low chance of being a shiny.
Do note that this doesn’t mean you will find a Shiny after 500 catches, it is 1/500 every instance.
- The medium rate is 1/125, this list contains these two Pokémon: Shinx and Gible.
- The (perma)boosted rate is 1/64. Quite a few Pokémon are in this list. This rate also applies to all Pokémon encountered as a reward from defeating a Mega Raid and even to their wild encounters.
See the list below of perma boosted:
- Pokémon featured in a Community Day event, Normal or Classic, do have a 1/25 rate, this rate only applies during the event.
- Legendaries and Mythicals featured in 5-star Raids has a 1/20 rate. Shinies are a guaranteed catch in this instance.
- Pokemon featured during special events, like Raid Days do have a 1/10 rate.
All information mentioned above was gathered by the Silph Road. The lists and rates are not permanent. They may change over time, we will try to keep this page updated.